GAME DESIGN & CODING
KIDS (AGES 7–12)
Every great game includes well-crafted gameplay and an immersive virtual world. In this interactive program, students will learn and test these fundamental concepts of game design and development using a sandboxed scripting language and drag-and-drop action sequences. Students will hone basic programming skills, acquire scripting techniques that can be transferred to other programming languages, and ultimately deliver an imaginative, playable, and multidimensional game that can be shared with family and friends.
SKILLS AND THRILLS• Design a completely stand-alone executable game that can be played with family and friends.
• Code character abilities (such as moving and throwing fireballs).
• Code enemy AI and other in-game challenges (Oh no! Goblins are charging at me!).
• Problem-solve and debug programming errors.
• Develop and deliver narrative within an interactive game environment.
PROGRAM MILESTONESWeek 8: Minimum of 2 arcade classic games.
Week 16: Multiple level side-scroller.
Week 24: Multiple level top-down tower defense game.
Week 32: Make your own game (multilevel, choice of genre, mechanics, story, depth).
WHAT YOU WILL CREATEMultiple interactive video games from various genres
that employ a variety of objects, rooms, backgrounds,
and character sprites.
FINAL PROJECT SHOWCASE
|Thursday December 14, 2017|
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Kids who have an enthusiasm for playing and making video games.
• Thursday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
FREE OPEN LAB HOURS
• Monday through Thursday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• 10% per sibling after first enrollment